One dies, three injured as explosion rocks Lagos gas station

A yet-to-be-identified person has reportedly died while three sustained varying degrees of injuries following a gas explosion that happened at Julee Gas Station, along Iyana School, Isashi Road, Iba, in Lagos.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday.

 Confirming the incident to our correspondent, the Head, Public Education, Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Amodu Shakiru, revealed that the cause of the fire incident was due to the process of trans-loading gas from the truck into the plant’s surface tank.

Shakiru noted that the men from the Ojo and Ajegunle Fire Stations, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, and police were at the scene.

He added, “The fire involved three LPG gas trucks of different storage capacity and a security post in the plant premises. Ojo and Ajegunle Fire Stations, LASEMA, and policemen were present to put off the fire quickly and ensure security. The fire emanated from one of the trucks while discharging its contents into the plant surface storage tank.

 “A male adult suffered severe burns beyond recognition in one of the trucks and was recovered dead. Three other male adults were reportedly rescued with varying degrees of burn injuries and taken to a nearby hospital on arrival of the State Fire and Rescue Service.”

PUNCH Metro gathered that the agency got 251 emergency calls in January, and there were no signs of a decrease in February. To reduce the possibility of breakouts, residents were advised to prioritise fire safety precautions, especially in light of the weather.

 Shakiru quoted the agency’s Director, Margaret Adeseye, as saying that although harmattan exacerbates fire, human activities including mishandling gas cylinders, hot work operations, erroneous petroleum product storage, and poor usage of electrical appliances were important contributory factors.

 He added, “In January 2024 alone, the service received 251 emergency calls, with February showing no signs of abatement. Margaret Adeseye, Director of the State Fire and Rescue Service, underscores the gravity of the situation, attributing the rise primarily to negligence and delayed reporting. The culmination of 2,537 emergencies in 2023 underscores the imperative of addressing this trend promptly.

 “Human actions such as improper storage of petroleum products, misuse of electrical appliances, hot works operations, and mishandling gas cylinders are significant contributing factors.

 “In response to these challenges, the Lagos State Government is intensifying its fire safety awareness campaign across all local government areas. Key public spaces, including markets, hospitals, schools, and religious centres, are targeted for enhanced outreach efforts. The public is encouraged to report any fire incidents promptly to the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service through the emergency toll-free lines: 767 or 112, as well as the Lagos Fire Hotline at 08033235891.

 Earlier, PUNCH Metro had reported that no fewer than 11 families were rendered homeless when a fire resulting from a gas explosion razed down their home in the Ojokoro area of Lagos State on Sunday.

 The fire, which started around 2 pm, was said to have erupted from the cooking gas of one of the occupants who was frying meat in a section of the building before the cooking oil went up in flames and razed down the 14-room apartment.

SOURCE:PUNCH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *